Thursday, August 4, 2016

Review of I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson, a New York Times Best Selling Author, is a winner of the 2015 Printz Award for Excellence in Young Literature, 2015 Stonewall Honor Book, and many more eminent awards. This novel is excellent and has been acclaimed by many esteemed critics. The setting of this book is Lost Cove, by the beach in Northern California. I'll Give You The Sun centers around Noah and Jude, hyper-competitive, yet close twins. The book focuses on Noah and Jude's bumpy relationship as a series of family tragedies and misunderstandings occur. A rift between the two is inevitable, but over time can be fixed. This novel shows each twins' perspective of certain situations from the ages of 13-16. As Noah and Jude grow up they face more difficult problems and encounter more questions about their own personal identities.





In my opinion, one of the major reasons I enjoyed I'll Give You The Sun was due to the writing style. I found it very easy to connect with the characters, almost as if the words had been written by teenagers themselves. At times the literature was very passionate, breathtaking, and moving. However, at other times it was extremely explosive, jarring, and exciting to read. I'll Give You The Sun was filled with vivid metaphors and comparisons. One of my favorite aspects of the novel was the descriptions of the artwork. The way the art was described throughout the book was beautiful and I could truly paint an image in my mind. It was intoxicating to read Jandy Nelson's lyrical and flowy writing style.






Another reason I loved this book so much was because of how much I was able to relate to the characters. I myself have a twin sister and found so many of Jandy Nelson's descriptions of twins accurate. I am an artist, so I was able to understand and appreciate all of the art references throughout the book.

Overall, I thought this book was very well written and told a very good story. It was intriguing to read and I loved every word even after rereading it several times. I can truthfully say that this is my favorite book and it will always hold a special place in my heart. Did you enjoy I'll Give You The Sun? If so, what was your favorite part?





1 comment:

  1. Wow! I really like this review, it's very well written and really makes me want to read the book as well. I am not really into these kind of books myself, but with your description/recommendation, I find myself wanting to dive right in. Do you have any other suggestions for books like this? Please respond to this! I really want your input!

    ReplyDelete